Discussion for Teachers:
Materials for Hike:
- Hard covered drawing Student Booklet and pencils.
- Shoes for hiking, digital camera or recording tool, hat, sun screen, water bottle.
- Bring a small bucket to carry water in.
- Understand that as the population on Earth increases and climate change heats the Earth, freshwater needs conserving and kept where it is.
- Look at the water cycle, understand that human water footprint is intruding into what nature needs. Nature needs water too, so that the water cycle can work. (Slide Show)
- Current water usage of freshwater for food (virtual water) transported from other countries, is taking water from another country’s system.
- Society needs to eat food that is grown locally.
Mind Map: http://www.mindmap42.com
- Good introductory video on water that is less than 5 mins:
- Visit your nearest river. Identify species. Discuss quality and quantity of water and species found.
- Carry back a bucket of water like people living in an African village.
- Take photos.
Substance Accounting: Tracking Form – IHTEC Water Dedication
- Watershed Peace Pathways http://www.ihtec.org/PrimaryPages/WatershedHome.html
Science for Peace/ Canadian Pugwash, Global Issues Project: