Discussion for Teachers:
- Discuss: “Everything ends in the ocean”
- All fish, dolphins, whales, sea turtles and sea birds are dying from pollution especially from plastics.
- Develop an understanding as to how the ocean produces 50% oxygen on Earth.
- Understand how sparse the ocean is between feeding sites for all species.
- Prevention: Everything ends in the ocean. Pollution and chemical are killing ocean species, many of which are our food.
- Develop action to prevent such things as the ocean mat mad of human’s plastic bottles and plastic bags which are killing marine life.
Vocabulary: ocean, dead zones, plastic pollution, krill, plankton, sea grasses, over-fishing, and oil pollution; shipping; cruises; fish; birds.
Slide Show: Slide Show – Oceanography
Mind map: Create an ocean mindmap from http://www.mind42.com
Key Concepts: Ocean and Great Lakes
- Develop an understanding as to how the oceans produce 50% of the oxygen on Earth at the surface.
Pollution in the Great Lakes Parts 1-5
- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6pgQtj9-fY0 Part 1
- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pdMusY89X-oand feature=relmfu Part 2
- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZafsW3pixLwand feature=relmfu Part 3
- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AulmnZR3tyYand feature=relmfu Part 4
- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5d6hycuJvyMand feature=relmfu Part 5